Monday, October 17, 2011

Mad (Med) Adventures

Diary of a 23 year old medical student, sister, daughter, and wife to a v. loving family and bimbo friend to one a many girlies.

It's the start of a new rotation. This time, it's Renal, Endo, Thyroid and Vascular. All in 6 weeks. Yes, I haven't even mastered the knowledge from last block and here we go again! Whoosh!!! Everyday we are exposed to such a steep learning curve. This morning, I learnt the difference between Type 1 and 2 Diabetes, and in 2 hours, I was standing in a room with 2 other meddies, interviewing a 68 year old man who just had his 38th surgery and his toes amputated from complications of Diabetes. Isn't is amazing how this art is applied?

...

Half an hour later, I meet a man with an extremely rare condition, and with it came an hour's worth of being someone's confidante. In this field, we see into our patient's world, we get to experience their anguish, their desperation, and live through so much raw emotions. When I see tears welling out from a grown man's eyes, I am lost. Do I prod more, or do I gracefully divert his anxieties? Each time I speak to a patient with fears and concerns, I feel this exasperating need to reach out, to take a little bit of pain so it becomes bearable, but at the same time so blessed to be able to learn so much about life, from my little daily experiences.

We, with able bodies and sound mind, we are lucky.

This world bears infinite boundaries, and part of life's adventures, especially mine, is to explore it's cavities and hopefully one day make little sense out of it.

So looking forward to tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment